Monday, May 23, 2011

Oh, summer... how we love thee!

Summer has officially begun. No more classes! No more grading! I have decided to take a week off of everything and let my mind relax once more. Today I have been sitting around home, looking at bridesmaids' gifts online and waiting for the storm to roll in. Chrissy and I are sitting here on our respective laptops, enjoying being safe indoors.

This weekend was full of graduations, good-byes, parties, dinners... so many good times with friends and family! On Thursday night, Belmont and I took Jess and Scott Lyle out for a farewell dinner at Algonquin. They are moving to South Carolina this week for Scott's job and we will probably not be seeing them again until the wedding. (Thankfully they are in the wedding and will be forced to come!) We requested our favorite server, Jacque, at Algonquin, but she is so fabulous that she was working a private party upstairs. She came downstairs to see us, however, and we told her the happy news of our engagement!

Here we are enjoying our dinner.
You will be missed, friends!


Here is my handsome date and I.
(This picture widened our heads... weird.)


On Friday afternoon, we went to pick up information for our passports. Thankfully, the lady at the Post Office assured us that they would not take longer than 4-6 weeks. (Yay! We won't be stuck inside the country after all!) I have to wait for my mom to mail me my birth certificate to file mine. Somehow in the move from our St. Louis house to our house in Illinois, my passport was lost and has not been recovered. Time to file for a new one, I suppose.

Friday night (all night!) we helped our dear friends the Beans pack up their apartment. They are moving to Tennessee this summer and we are sad. Happily, though, they have been called to work for RUF, which is a wonderful fit for their personalities and gifts. I hope to go visit for a while this summer while Belmont is on one of his trips. AND we have made an arrangement with the Beans that their kids will come stay with us for a week every summer for their whole lives. I am their (honorary) godmother, after all. (They, too, are in the wedding, though, so we plan on seeing them in August!)

Saturday was our very first wedding shower! My family came in town for a total of about five hours and threw a very sweet shower. (My dad came along and went for a manly motorcycle ride with Belmont which they both enjoyed immensely.)
Dusty, Annie, and my mom came up with the games, the food, and the decor and we all had a really great time! We got a lot of household items, including a bathroom scale (which was Belmont's favorite). He has been a little nervous that he is not going to get anything enjoyable or manly at any of these showers, so the stainless steel scale made him excited. I am waiting for my mom to send me the pics she took on her camera, but in the meantime here are some pics I stole from Jess's Facebook:

the three Jones sisters


My sister sewed us a beautiful pillow case with a
monogrammed "B." We only have one so far
but a second is on its way. Lovely!



My mom made me this apron-- isn't it great?!
As Nika and I would say, time to be a domestic goddess!


We have been so blessed by friends and family already-- and still have at least three showers on the horizon! Looking forward to setting up house with my best friend.

On Saturday night after the shower, Belmont and Scott had some guy time (and cooked massive steaks on the grill) while Jess and I met up with some girlfriends and went to The Melting Pot on the Loop. So delicious! I had never been before, but now I am pretty convinced that we will be going here for my bachelorette/lingerie party for dessert sometime soon. So girly! So much chocolate!

Here we all are, enjoying fondue goodness


Sunday was a day of rest (gotta love Sunday naps!) and then a small group of us reconvened at the Youth House for a party to celebrate Holly's graduation from seminary. Alex cooked up a gourmet meal with the most delicious green beans I have ever tasted and Chrissy brought a yummy graduation cake. Congratulations, Holly!

Here we are with the graduate!


It looks like it is almost nighttime outside. This weather is insane! Chrissy, Charlotte, and I are braving the storm, however, and enjoying the delicious smell of the candle that Ryan and Ellen gave me for my birthday. Looks like it is high time to write a few thank you cards!

A very happy (and summery) Monday to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment