I went to Dusty's house on Thursday evening, and we had a yummy dinner. Eldon is as cute as ever, but also very mischievous. He likes to play tricks and do exactly the opposite of whatever you ask him to do. Ha! I taught him a few new words and names, and we went around the house saying the names of the people in all the pictures. (He can say "Belmont," but not "Tía," so I am a little jealous.) He also likes to say the word "shoes." He was wearing mine all over the house (ones with bows on them). Such a doll.
On Friday, we went around town. We went to an old candy kitchen for lunch and had ice cream for dessert. We also went to the mall and got a few things. After that, we went back home for Eldon's nap. Later we went to a great Amish store and got lots of goodies-- including some of Belmont's favorite gum as a coming-home treat!
The main event of the weekend was a "Hen Party." We got the food together on Thursday and Friday (along with lots of things that she made ahead of time and then froze). She invited a friend, Lorraine, who has a 5-acre farm-- chickens, turkeys, goats, cows, garden, etc.-- to be our speaker. She talked to us about her homesteading journey and gave us lots of tips and ideas. We also shared ideas around the room of our various successes and failures in gardening and various household arts.
Here are a few pics of the event. It was such a fun time! I was quite inspired by Lorraine's story, but overwhelmed by how many things I would like to eventually accomplish. One step at a time...!
A cute little guest basket by my bedside,
which included a delicious bar of chocolate
and some other sweet presents from Dusty & Eldon.
The guest room
Each guest got a goodie bag--
fresh farm eggs, seeds, homemade bread,
and some homemade dip mix!
Here are some books that Dusty and I gathered together
for a book table. Lots of interesting browsing!
Like the sign? I drew it!
Underneath are the treat bags.
Potted flowers on the front porch
The laying hens!
Dusty's beautiful flower beds
Dusty's childhood girl scout leader, Mrs. Stella, was
not able to attend. However, she sent a package of
hand sewn "needle books"-- one for each guest!
The hostess with the lovely luncheon spread
Dusty and Lorraine, our speaker
Mother and daughters-- and aprons!
Cupcakes for dessert! 100% from scratch,
including the raspberry jelly that was in the frosting.
The cute family-- love that little boy's face!
Well, I guess that is about all for now. Time for sleep! I hope you all had a lovely weekend and stayed safe during the storms! I have plenty of new ideas to ponder this summer. Hopefully we will get a large crop of tomatoes from our garden for canning! That can be Step #1 in my long journey ahead. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment