Today was a somber day as we laid Baby Eden, daughter of our friends George and Esther, to rest. Esther had a miscarriage right before her second trimester of pregnancy, and the last few weeks have been very sobering as we walk through this with them (along with our church family). The effects of the Fall that are a part of our daily lives often get overlooked ("Miscarriages happen all the time," I have heard people say), but these effects cannot be overlooked or forgotten by those who experience them first-hand. Broken bodies... miscarriages... infertility... These have been some of the most painful for our friends and family in recent months, but we will experience many other trials throughout life here on Earth. I feel as if living in a fallen world gets more and more painful the older that I get.
We stood by the graveside this morning, alongside the tiniest casket I have ever seen. One of our pastors, Mike, was reminding us that-- along with the obvious grief that is being experienced-- it was a blessing to think about the fact that Baby Eden never had to experience life in a fallen world. We experience life here, but Eden will always know life with her Heavenly Father.
George was talking to Belmont and I the other day and said that through this process, he was seeing his pride and selfishness in new and unforeseen ways. I told them that it wasn't selfish to want to know and meet their precious baby. His response was, however, that he had wanted to teach Baby Eden the truths of scripture. He had wanted to teach her about her loving Heavenly Father. He laughed a little and then said, "She knows Him now better than I ever have" and talked about the fact that she was learning first hand about all the things that he and Esther had been hoping to teach her. He had meant that he was selfish to want to keep her here on Earth when she is experiencing the perfection of Heaven, even before she ever knew her parents.
We wept with Esther and George this morning as they buried their baby girl. But we were reminded that someday our Heavenly Father will some day wipe away every tear from our eyes. This afternoon when I got home, I wrote a song thinking of these truths and remembering that Eden is already at rest, even while we wrestle with sadness at her loss. (It is written from her perspective in heaven talking to her parents.)
When Tears are Washed Away
(6 June 2013)
If I could write a song,
it would be of One who washes tears away.
A thousand ages long,
I would still be coming up with things to say.
There are others here with me
who came without delay.
Though your hearts are breaking,
there is One who washes tears away.
He told me of your home
And the curse that I was under while I stayed.
In a garden long ago,
They had perfect peace, they walked before His face.
Then rebellion claimed their home;
There were many tears to come.
But the Father promised
that one day there would come a day
When tears are washed away
Far away.
He told me of your love
And the things you would have taught me
if I stayed.
And how Jesus went away,
lived the perfect life, then died to take our place.
But He's here beside me now
And He'll hold you in His grace
'Til the day appointed,
'Til the day you see His face
When tears are washed away
Far away.
And we watch and wait,
For there will come a day.
Oh... Jesus loves me, this I know.
He Himself has told me so.
And oh, what love
He has taught me here above.
You are learning it below.
For He loves us as His bride.
As you wait, He is preparing us a home.
He will wipe them from your eyes--
every tear and every sorrow you have known.
Though now in a mirror dimly,
You will see Him as He is.
Reunited on that day,
We will sing eternal praise.
When tears are washed away
Far away.
When tears are washed away
There will come a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment