Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Jolly Green Domestic Goddess

Wow! Almost a whole month since I've posted?! Oops! I am not very up-to-date these days. In a few days, it will be our six month anniversary, so you're almost sure to get at least a couple of updates this week. :)

School is back in full-swing and I am enjoying both of my classes this semester. I am teaching two different levels, which has been hard to juggle-- but rewarding! My upper level class is a conversation class and the students seem to be really enjoying expressing their ideas in Spanish. (A few of them, not-so-much... But they are enjoying the thoughts of graduation if they are able to pass!) This week we are starting a chapter on politics and various dictatorships in Latin America. Yesterday we started with a discussion on los desaparecidos ("the disappeared ones" or "missing people"). We watched a music video of a Sting song in Spanish about mothers and wives who lost their family members due to grotesque government cruelty under dictatorships in Chile and Argentina. I almost cried in class. The students seemed moved as well and it's been interesting to try to get them to think outside of the box about the world around them.

Belmont started back to classes as well and, although he has only met once with each class, he seems to be enjoying them!
One is with an elder from our church and I got to sit in on it Monday night. What fun! Mondays are going to be our LONG days-- typically followed up by a late-night soccer game with the boys. I don't mind, and I really like watching Belmont play soccer. He likes being with his friends and staying in shape... which is about to take on a whole new meaning...

We are about to start INSANITY. That's what it's called. It's like P90X, but without weights and a pull-up bar. We are borrowing it from a friend at church and he guaranteed us that we will not be able to get through it. My muscles are already tensing up in fear!
I am excited to work out together, though, and since it seems WAY extreme for either of us, I am hoping that I am not the only one looking silly. Ha!

In other healthy news, I am reading The Gorgeously Green Diet and other miscellaneous food information and trying to cut packaged foods out of our lives. And pesticides. And hydrogenated corn syrup. We have both been feeling *gross* lately with how we have been eating. My friend Nika loaned me the book I just mentioned and it is opening my eyes to lots of sad food realities. Did you know that chickens being raised for meat are de-beaked so that they can't peck each other?? I got really sad when I heard that. And cows... I don't even want to go there. That's why I want my own chickens and a cow one day. (Don't laugh, Mom!) We are getting excited about our garden this summer and hope to also get some fruit trees if we get a place of our own.

So today is my day off. I cleaned, am doing some laundry, went grocery shopping, cleaned out our cabinets (even though Belmont and I compromised on a few of his favorite boxed meals), and am getting ready to grade papers and cook a delicious supper. On the menu? Please see pictures below! (Minus the celery... Ugh! And imagine a possible added veggie on the side, such as broccoli or corn.)




Anyway, I am excited to try this new *real food* idea and also keep experimenting with cutting dairy out of my diet. I seem to have developed a dairy allergy that makes my digestive system go to war with my body after every piece of cheese or glass of chocolate milk that I ingest. Sad news!! I am going to try soy, almond milk, rice milk, and/or goat milk (which is a good idea for people with dairy problems... isn't that weird?). I will keep you posted on our progress!

In the deodorant department, the Milk of Magnesia is taking the lead. I bought some aluminum-free lavender deodorant and it seems to be causing a bad skin reaction. Yikes!

Up next:
homemade shampoo...

I hope you are all having a wonderful day and enjoying the BEAUTIFUL Spring-like weather that we are getting!
Time to get back to my day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment