Monday, August 13, 2012

La clase de español

¡Hola!  Greetings!  I am sitting on the couch, trying to unwind from a long day of decorating my classroom.  Whew!  So much work!  Two of my friends, Leah and Erin, came by at different times throughout the day to help me set up.  Thank you, ladies!!  I could not have done it without you.  I have been quite overwhelmed, to say the least.

Also... I had to get a TB test today.  Which included a needle...  Let's just leave that part of the story out.  Okay.

While I was upstairs in my health meeting (which I forgot I had-- oops!), Leah was downstairs covering one of my bulletin boards in black paper.  (Which is my least favorite part of making a bulletin board.  What a friend!)  We cut out letters for the Bible verse and some stars.  We also made a (not-quite-geographically-accurate) Earth to hang in outer space.  The rest of the day was spent making flags, cutting out phrases, gluing flags on construction paper, figuring out where the papers were printing all over the building, deciding on bursts of color to add to the room... these girls were so much help!!  Tomorrow is Open House, but we don't have to have our rooms quite ready... which is good.  Because I don't.  :)

Here are a few pics of how the room is looking so far!  I am looking forward to getting everything finished tomorrow!

A view of the front right-hand side of the room


 Our finished bulletin board!!
Thank you, Leah!  It is exactly what I wanted!



The pre-school corner.
The younger kids only come once a week.
We will mostly be singing and having story time! 


A close-up of the alphabet board
and a bookshelf full of awesome books...
in Spanish!! 


My chalkboard is magnetic-- which is amazing!
Here is our calendar and weather station. 


The other bookshelf-- complete with stuffed animals.
 Apparently, the little kids sometimes need a friend.


The back of the room (with my desk in the corner)
I hung a Mexican blanket to add some color.
There are Spanish phrases on the file cabinet.
The shelves are (L) folders and (R) art supplies. 


This bulletin board is outside my classroom.
 It asks "Where do you encounter Spanish?"
The kids are supposed to bring Spanish
findings from home to add to the board!


So there you have it!  I am getting excited about starting to teach, but a bit nervous as well!  I am sure that I will enjoy teaching with such exuberant students.  I had one little girl come visit the classroom today and she wanted to speak in Spanish already!  :)

In other news, WE HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR!!  Whoa!  I can't believe how quickly time flies!  We enjoyed our one-year anniversary last week.  Belmont got off work early in the afternoon, so we went out to lunch together.  We hung out at home for the rest of the day.  We watched our wedding video, had a delicious homemade dinner, and opened presents.  Lovely day!  Here are a few pictures.

 Our table setting-- complete with wedding China!
Belmont made me a delicious dinner!


I put our wedding programs on the table.
We watched our wedding video before dinner.  :) 


Aren't the roses lovely??  Dusty made the picture beside them.
Since it's the "paper" anniversary, we got each other paper gifts!
What a fun tradition!


To end the summer well, we headed to the Muny on Saturday for the last show.  It was our second in two weeks!  First we saw Pirates! which was a hilarious (modernized?) version of The Pirates of Penzance.  This week's show was The King & I.  We really enjoyed it!  Other than the constant Buddha references (which I greatly disliked), it was a beautiful show and a great way to end summer at the Muny.  We enjoyed a dinner beforehand at Algonquin both times-- first with Jennifer and Brent, and then with Paul!  (Cindy was out of town.)  They have a new dish called Chicken Caprese which has changed our lives.  Delicious!!


Ready for our date night!  xoxo


 A picture before the show!
Not sure about the lady behind us...


The set from The King & I


Well, I think it is time to relax.  I hope y'all are all enjoying this gorgeous autumnal weather we have been having!  

Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment