Sunday, July 8, 2012

Next comes... July!

We are now about one week into July and the temperatures are finally being forecast to drop.  Cannot.wait.  Our garden has kind of fallen to the wayside in the 100°+ weather we've been having (as I'm sure you have noticed, since there has not been a single "after" picture from our bountifully planted crops).  The deer and the bunnies ate almost all of them, with the exception of those growing underground.  We have carrots and onions still hanging on, along with three pepper plants that have yet to produce any peppers.  Still waiting!  Other than that, our first year of gardening has been a sad series of lessons to hopefully make next year's garden a much better final product.  (However, we still may plant for a fall crop now that we have our little fence!)

In other news, we have a new cousin-in-law!  Ryan and Ellen got married on June 29th and there was much celebrating.  There were much fewer photo-ops than originally anticipated, however, due to the ridiculously hot weather for the day.  Thankfully, they were all taken indoors.  We could not even stay cool in the A/C!!  It was a lovely wedding, though, and they are due to come home from their honeymoon this weekend.  :)

Me and my handsome date, 
who was an usher as well as a reader! 


Belmont with his parents and his Uncle Kevin,
father of the groom 


Ryan & Ellen's first dance


Ava (the flower girl) with her Uncle Paul
at the wedding luncheon on Saturday


We also celebrated some more family news-- Jennifer and Brent bought a new house!!  Well, they got it a little while ago, but Belmont and I were finally able to go get the full tour.  It is a really great house in a quiet neighborhood and they have big plans for renovations.  I think the whole family is scheduled to paint the outside of the house together once the heat eases up a bit.  Can't wait to see the finished product!!

We celebrated the 4th of July with a family from church and had a great evening together!  (I also met a new friend who has approximately everything in common with me under the sun.)   Dianne whipped up a delicious supper and we sported red, white, and blue gear in very patriotic fashion.  I also made some patriotic side dishes for the occasion!  (Not pictured: my mix of white and blue corn chips with red salsa)

Looking very American for the 4th


My patriotic fruit display-- with marshmallows  :)


Since Belmont is headed to Florida with the youth group this week, we went on a date to Maggiano's last night.  Delicious!  I had some Tiramisu and almost died of culinary bliss.  That stuff is amazing, I tell you. 

On our way to dinner!


The rest of this week, I am trying to keep busy so I don't miss him too much!!  Monday and Friday, Leah and I have planned some Jr. High girl events-- including the annual sleepover which is always hilarious-- and a trip to the theater to see the new Disney movie "Brave."  Before that, we are planning to make some tissue flower bouquets (by channeling our inner Martha Stewart) to take to a local nursing home where a few of our elderly church members live.  They are unable to attend services anymore and we hope to be able to visit them and brighten up their rooms with flowers!  During the other couple of days, I am planning to work on Eldon's Advent calendar (along with another Christmas-y surprise which he will hopefully receive at Thanksgiving to prepare for the Christmas season)!  I cannot wait!  My friend, Anna, is also making an Advent calendar for her kids and hasn't quite finished, so we are planning to have a craft night after her kids go to sleep on Tuesday.  Can't wait to see how these turn out!  I need to head to Hobby Lobby tomorrow a.m. to get a ton of felt squares.  :)

Well, guess it's a relaxing night at home for me tonight!  Not sure what I'm going to do with myself, but I wish I already had the felt and could start my project.  Zero days down and 6 1/2 to go...

After that?  Vacation time to celebrate our one-year anniversary in Jamaica!!  Hooray for super cheap vacation packages on CheapCaribbean.com!  We are so excited.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment