We got back late on Wednesday night and went straight to bed-- leaving the unpacking of the car for yesterday. Belmont had to work on Thursday, so I slept in (lovely!) and then woke up to a day of catching up: the unpacking of suitcases, the cleaning-out of my car, the laundering of a mountain of clothes, the mailing of "thank you" cards, the running of errands, etc. All of this... but not a single load of dishes.
"Why?" you ask? Well, for some reason our garbage disposal in the sink has been broken... which leads to a clogged sink... which leads to a very stinky kitchen if anyone tries to wash a dish (or run any water whatsoever). I had tried to chop up a few (yes, probably too many...) oranges in our disposal so that it would smell citrusy-fresh a few weeks ago and I think that those oranges decided to live in our garbage disposal instead of going on their merry way downstream. Oh well. Thankfully we have an awesome friend-- Pat Walker-- who came over to show Belmont the ropes of plumbing! He had quite a few horrendous stories of his own to tell about plumbing fiascoes, but the boys soon got the disposal working properly. Our house, however, still smells like rotten things. I ran the dishwasher with lots of soap and vinegar to try to neutralize the smell, but it is apparently here to stay for a few days...
Speaking of vinegar-- yesterday while I was running errands and grocery shopping, I got a few products that I will need for my few weeks of Pinterest projects which I have planned for myself.
Here you have my findings from yesterday:lemon-scented ammonia, coconut milk, vinegar,
rubbing alcohol, and castile soap!
I have been researching ways of cleaning house with natural products instead of harsh chemicals. Time will tell how functional these solutions prove to be! Before the cleaners, I had been trying the same concept... on my hair. I went shampoo-free for almost a week and instead used baking soda and lemon juice. My hair felt great and had a lot more body, but I just could not get past the non-lathering. Thanks to Pinterest, however, I found a new recipe that is not only chemical-free but also lathers! Getting excited about this. AND it will smell like coconut. Yum!
Last night after Belmont got home from work (and from golfing with his new irons!), we had a relaxing evening (post-garbage.disposal.fixing) that included a healthy meal and the first episode of John Adams-- a mini-series that he got for Christmas! Healthy eating is also on my priority list during Christmas break, as I finally have time to cook and plan meals now that I am done with my thesis, etc. What fun! Last night did not take a lot of forethought, but it was at least a relatively balanced meal!
Today I have been straightening the house a little more... and chasing the recycling all over the yard! It has been so WINDY today and the recycling bin blew over four times. I finally stopped standing it back up and am just hoping that the waste service gets here soon. The recycling blew all over the back yard the first two times, but I finally got it pushed down in the bottom of the bin. I think it's staying now... let's hope!
Well, Belmont just got home from a blustery day on the scooter. Time for tea with my hubby! Have a lovely, windy day! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment