Friday, February 1, 2013

Homecoming!

My husband is on his way home today!!  I am so very excited to see him again and hear about his trip.  He said he has been learning a lot and that he is looking forward to sharing his notes with me.  Hooray!  I accidentally left my phone at home, though, so I'm having to hear updates on their departure, etc., through Sarah.  Of all the days to forget my phone!

This week (after a test over Day 5), we started on Day 6a in Spanish class: ANIMALS!  (We will do another unit on 6b for people, so that we can focus individually on each part of creation.)  We read a children's book called "Farm Animals" and learned the animals' names in Spanish-- and their sounds.  Did you know that the sound words that are used in Spanish are different from English?  (For example, a turkey doesn't say "gobble, gobble" but "glo-glo, glo-glo."  A dog doesn't say "woof! woof!"  but "guau! guau!")  We practiced saying them in Spanish and then watched a silly video about animal sounds.  They are loving it so far.  Maybe their favorite unit yet!  :)

I am exhausted, on the other hand, and feel like this year God has been teaching me more about conflict resolution and identity than about Spanish.  I think that the more that I am faced with e-mails and phone calls from parents, the more I am able not to take the many untrue words that are said to heart-- realizing that my identity is not in being a perfect teacher, but rather a child of God.

I am reminded of this quote by Martin Luther, as he describes all of life as a process that will never be complete on this side of heaven.  God is working in me daily to make me more like his Son.  Praise the Lord for that!


“This life therefore is not righteousness, but growth in righteousness, not health, but healing, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not yet what we shall be, but we are growing toward it, the process is not yet finished, but it is going on, this is not the end, but it is the road. All does not yet gleam in glory, but all is being purified.”   
 (Martin Luther)




Happy Friday!  And happy February!  I am looking forward to seeing tomorrow whether there will be more winter or an early spring.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment