Tuesday, November 6, 2012

November 6th

Wow... it's been a while!  I can't believe the last time I posted was on Belmont's birthday.  Today is November 6th.  Which means that yesterday was the fifth of November, and I sadly did not get to watch V for Vendetta or eat eggies in a basket with my brothers.  It was a happy Guy Fawkes' Day, however.  Our principal came to observe one of my classes and loved it.  Hooray!  Observations always make me a little nervous.  I taught the kids a tune to the Spanish version of Jeremiah 17:7-8.  We are learning the days of creation and have been talking about water and land, trees and fruit, etc.  The verses were perfect to tie into our unit!  (I put in bold the words that we have been studying.)

    “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
        whose trust is the LORD.
    He is like a tree planted by water,
        that sends out its roots by the stream,
    and does not fear when heat comes,
        for its leaves remain green,
    and is not anxious in the year of drought,
        for it does not cease to bear fruit.”

(Jeremiah 17:7-8)



Most of the kids also learned these verses in English last year as the school's theme verse, so they knew hand movements, etc.  We had a lot of fun!  I am excited to teach it to my other classes as well, in preparation for our Spanish chapel in February.

Today is Voting Day!  I went in search of my polling location, drove around for a few miles, couldn't find it, got really frustrated... and then realized it was about 20 feet from my house.  The name threw me off.  Anyway, I got there and saw our friend Margaret helping to run the election paperwork.  So great!  I have officially voted, and I will not be telling you for whom.  However, I think this psalm is a good reminder on a day like today (or any day):

Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord, O my soul!
I will praise the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.

Put not your trust in princes,
in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation.
When this breath departs, he returns to the earth;
on that very day his plans perish.

Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,

whose hope is in the Lord his God,
who made heaven and earth,
the sea, and all that is in them,
who keeps faith forever;
who executes justice for the oppressed,
who gives food to the hungry.

The Lord sets the prisoners free;
the Lord opens the eyes of the blind.
The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down;
the Lord loves the righteous.
The Lord watches over the sojourners;
he upholds the widow and the fatherless,
but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.
 

The Lord will reign forever,
your God, O Zion, to all generations.
Praise the Lord!


(Psalm 146)


We are headed over to watch the election results with the Belmont family tonight-- and to eat a lot of appetizers!  A few of my girlfriends and I decided to start swapping frozen meals once a month that we have prepared ahead of time.  I am experimenting with one of our recipes-- Spiced Citrus Chicken-- which will make a debut at the election party tonight.  I hope it's tasty!  If not, I will be glad that I did not go ahead and make it for everyone before tasting it...  :)

Happy November 6th!  Regardless of the outcome of this election, the LORD is on His throne.

1 comment:

  1. Frozen meals?! How exciting! I got a recipe book of freezer meals once, but the ingredients were all fairly expensive. :) Lasagna is always good! Homemade bread, enchiladas (minus sauce and cheese), meatloaf...ahhh, food is deelsih!

    ReplyDelete