Here are a few "before" pictures from yesterday when we were prepping the soil:
Belmont prepping the "bean bed."
"Before" pic from the bottom garden area
"Before" pic from our flower bed area
Earlier today, I got to spend time with Drew and Ella. Their mom is visiting her sister in D.C. (with their baby sister Aubrey) and their dad was at work. We went to the park, drew pictures, played outside, watched a little Clifford the Big Red Dog, had a picnic outside in the front yard, and played with the Lite Brite. Later, they came over with Ben to check on the garden plans. They even helped us spread out the soil with a few rakes I found in the garage! We'll have to share some veggies with them this summer. :)
Ella didn't really want to smile. :)
Here is the ladybug Ella found outside.
She gave it a little too much love and he died.
She wanted to keep him anyway. :)
Drew took the lead on the raking with perfect-sized rake.
Ella and her friend soon followed suit.
After they left, we got to work on our planting. We put some lava rocks down beside the basement entrance (which you can see in bags behind Ella and Drew in the raking picture). We wanted to cover up some weeds and also have a place to walk beside our corn. Great idea!
Here are our markers. I used my wood burner to write
the name of each veggie row on some paint sticks from Lowe's.
PTE (Power Tool Excuse) textbook case.
Belmont used his drill to make holes in the paint sticks.
We then ran string through them to keep straight rows.
Making the holes. Wedding ring. :)
Here is Belmont planting carrots.
His grandfather, Gene, loved gardening.
His grandfather, Gene, loved gardening.
He always planted carrots, which Belmont loved!
Here is a close-up of a finished marker.
Here is the sign we made, which is the plank beside the carrots.
A night shot of our evening's work. Lookin' good!
We put walking boards between the rows like his grandpa did.
Here is our soon-to-be bean plot.
We plan to plant two varieties-- one on either side.
Can't wait for beans and peas!! Perfect sized plot!
Belmont is now watching hockey and I am blogging. Chrissy is staying with us for now because her ceiling fell in at her apartment. Yikes!! More fell today, so she is enjoying the Belmont hotel.
Tomorrow I am planning to go to a concert with some girls from our small group and their moms (and Leah)! I am looking forward to getting to know their moms a bit better. Belmont is spending time with Jonathan and potentially playing some church softball. Guys' night! Saturday, we've been invited to go to the theater with Nika and Rob to see Memphis. It's won quite a few awards for the dancing and singing, so I'm excited to see it! Saturday night-- MORE GARDENING!
I hope y'all are all doing well and enjoying the beginning of summer. Only six more days until I'm done with school!! Cannot wait. :)



I am thrilled for y'all and your gardening! We have most of ours in except for 2 bean varieites (spreading them out a bit). Can't wait to see your progress!! Keep us updated! ;)
ReplyDelete